Sunday, February 2, 2014

Why Do We Practice?

Kids keep asking me why it's important to practice their recorders.
I tell them, "it's teaching you responsibility." But, the truth is, it's so much more than that.

        By learning to get into the pattern of practicing every day, you are building a routine in your life. Building routine helps you establish good habits. While the recorder might be a silly instrument to "practice at home" it's like riding a bike with the training wheels. If you learn to do that first, when you take the training wheels off you have a far better chance at successfully riding the bike!
         If you learn to practice, read musical notation and rhythms, and perform something from start to finish on the recorder FIRST, then you have a HUGE head start when you decide to play a band instrument in middle school.

I did a little video of me playing a piece on my harp to demonstrate what I'm talking about...


So get on that practicing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment