Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Classroom Set Up

So I have tried VARIOUS set ups for my music classroom.
I started with desks:


But when the room starts out with everything in a pile at the middle of the room...it can be a little daunting. 

I get really into Native American Focus Week in September. I think it's so fun to tell traditional stories around a fake fire to the beat of a drum. I popped popcorn for my students and they LOVE to watch their faces light up when they see the fake paper fish hang from the ceiling above the fire. It's always my favorite week.


I like to decorate for the holidays as well. Last year covered one of my walls entirely with GIANT presents I made out of bulletin board paper.

I hung a piece of salvage fabric on the back of my upright piano, just for kicks.

Black History Month decor.



After a season with the desks, I decided to eliminate them and set up orff stations in the back of the room, centers. I set up all the chairs in rows in the front of the centers. This worked...OK, but it crowded and the tables took up too much room.
(That year I taped wrapping paper to the backs of the chairs and it made them look kind of "upholstered" and it was so cute! The theme that year was "attic.")

This year my theme is "Aztek."
(I bought this rug at IKEA, it's square and it's SO cute.)

Window Decor cut out of cardboard.

I built a teepee, I found the directions on Pinterest- SO EASY. 
I also made the seat crates from a tutorial I found on Pinterest. They have served to be extremely useful when it comes to drum circles and xylophones bands. 

i got rid of the desks this year and made rows with just the chairs. I put seat backs on the chair with their seat numbers, and put rhythm sticks and white boards in the seat back pockets. These pockets I made out of home depot belts that I spray painted blue and stenciled on (with sharpie) the numbers, easiest thing ever!

More pics coming of my most recent set up and....drum roll please...my FAVORITE. Hints- I set up my room like a horse shoe with an orff orchestra in the center. Brilliant :)

No comments:

Post a Comment