Monday, September 3, 2012

Where you live?

 
“Miss I got some news, try not to cry or get all emotional,” Jada spoke in her mother-knows-best voice.
“What’s up girl?” I asked.
“Well, you know I love this school right?” I nodded. “But my mama she say it’s time for me to move on, you know, make new friends, see new things, and I agree wit’er.” She shot me a half smile. “It’s gonna be hard, but I think fourth grade will be good at a charter school. It’ll be good for me.”
I looked into her little face and thought, how did you grow up so fast this year? I mean, you’re only nine.
“So anyway, you know I'm gonna be movin' on to a new place, but Ima miss you real bad, Miss" she patted my shoulder
"Jada, that's so sad, you know I'll miss you too! But it sounds like that's a sweet place you're going. I'm sure you'll love your new school." I looked her in the eyes and thought, I really am going to miss this kid, she will go far in the arts.
"Yeah miss, don't worry though! Imma come visit choo, I'll be around." Her missing tooth left a gaping hole in her precious and extremely large smile.
"I would love that Jada," I replied.
"Yeah, Imma come on Saturdays," she half winked at me as if to say, I got-chu miss.
"Saturday, girl we don't have school on Saturdays," I said.
"I know, dat's why I can come!"
"Baby girl, I don't live at school...you know that right?"
"Uh....yeah...I mean...I...knew that. Yeah....of course...." Long pause followed. "So...uh, where do you live miss?"

No comments:

Post a Comment